As part of a project to help out fellow missionary bloggers, http://www.missionary-blogs.com/200609.html#e93 we have been asked to write an article about “Care Packages” and post it on our blog.
We, like most missionaries love to receive mail and packages from the
Here are some ideas of things we always like to receive and packing suggestions. Just so you know, some of the items on the list are available here in
Things we like to receive:
- French Roast Coffee Beans – In
we buy BJ’S brand from BJ’S warehouse it is very good and not expensive. Most any brand will do. America
- Patriot’s Football Games on DVD – There is no American Football on TV here.
- Cereal – Rice Krispies, Cherrios, Chex, Shredded Wheat
- Splenda – No calorie sweetener
- Maple Syrup
- Marshmallows – These also make good packing in their original bags or in smaller zip-lock bags
- Crunchy Peanut Butter
- Hot Sauce
- Any “Mexican” spices – we really like packs of salsa spices to make our own salsa.
- Roasted cashews – they are four time the cost here as in
- Cheese packets from Macaroni and cheese – Please don’t send the macaroni as it is too heavy and very inexpensive here.
- Muffin and cornbread mixes – impossible to get here.
- Graham crackers
- Kraft Parmesan/Romano cheese
- Haynes brand grey athletic socks
- A few magazines – these are heavy, but can occasionally be used as packing material; out of date is fine because it’s all new to us J
- Readers Digest condensed books
- A hard copy of Strong’s Concordance
- Deodorant – Degree for Men and Lady Speed Stick for Women – Deodorant costs $5 -$9 each here for 2.5 ounces
- BJ’S brand or comparable disposable triple blade razors - & Venus – Ladies disposable razor blades – very expensive here
- DVDs – Any good movies or TV Series though email us first and ask if we have what you’re thinking of sending. Any PBS series would be enjoyed.
- We have
- Lost - Season 1-2
- 24 – Seasons 1-5
- Monk - Seasons 1-4
- Columbo – Season 2
- Waltons- Season 1
- Murder She Wrote – Season 1
- Brown sugar or powdered sugar– American style brown sugar and powdered sugar is not available here.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, Hershey’s Mint Chocolate or plain choc. Chips
- Baking powder
- Unsweetened baking chocolate
- HP #56 and #57 Printer cartridges
- MP3 sermons are appreciated as well as Christian Music CD’s
- News letters or bulletins from your church – We just enjoy seeing what’s happening at home
Packing and Mailing:
- Boxes can be sent by ground mail – they take 6-12 weeks and are less expensive than airmail.
- Tape shut securely
- Do not include letters as they make a package first class mail
- Pack the box tightly with no air spaces
- Packages 10 pounds and under are appreciated as they make it much easier to carry home from the Post Office
- Some items can be removed from their original packaging and sent in Ziploc bags if it saves space or weight – if we need the directions please don’t forget to include them!
- Clearly label the package – Our mailing address can be printed off of our monthly newsletter if needed
- Don’t send much in the way of liquids – if you do, triple bag them in zip-lock bags to avoid breakage and spills.
- If you send clothing for us to distribute – please make sure it is good quality usable – we need socks, mittens and hats for our homeless ministry. Clothing can be expensive to send, please be aware of this before you gather a large amount.
- If in doubt about something you are thinking of sending, send us an email first and we can let you know if it is really needed or useful. It would be a shame to spend money for postage on items that are not useful.